.

Balloon Fiesta 2012

Ever since my parents started coming to Albuquerque on a yearly basis for the balloon festival, I've been itching to go as well.

Imagine my excitement when Tom got the job down here -- and I figured out we would actually be living in ABQ for the Fiesta. Squeeeeeeeee.

The Balloon Festival happens every year, in the first week of October. This year, it started October 6, and goes until October 14. All of the events were cancelled on the very first day due to high winds, so I made plans to visit my Uncle's house on the second day (he lives only a few miles from the park where they launch the balloons, and the wind usually blows them right to and over his house...sometimes even landing in his yard).

Of course, the day I show up at his house at the ass crack of dawn for the balloons, there was no wind. This was the best shot I could get:


As you can see, nothing special. Lol.

I figured if I was going to guarantee myself the opportunity to see 550 balloons take off and land, I needed to be right in the middle of the action.

So I answered a 4:30am wake-up call, got the kids piled into the car, loaded up my camera, and drove to the park.

It was totally worth it.









I'm relieved that I finally got out there for the shots. Every morning since the Festival started, I have felt apprehensive at not getting out there to experience the event -- and allow Thad to experience the same.

Now that we've both seen it with our own two eyes, we can sleep in. Lol.

I probably won't partake in balloon festivities again until 2015...when Charlotte is old enough to realize what it is and get all excited about it. Maybe by then, Thad will be more into it - this year, he was complaining that he was bored about 15 minutes into the whole thing.

Oye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment