.

The Crafty Mom

It's Wednesday, which means one of two things:

1. I will be entirely productive because I have a whole day to do absolutely nothing but catch up on school and editing. 

OR

2. I will nap for a few hours, watch a movie with Thad, play outside with Thad, and maybe eat too much junk food.

Today was, thankfully, one of the productive days.

I've known for awhile now that I wanted to hit Hobby Lobby and get a bunch of shiz for my kid to do in the Winter. It gets arctic-like here in Michigan, and the first time Thad asks if we can go play in the snow, there's a really good chance I will laugh in his face.

I hate the cold.

So I needed some things to entertain my child.

I got a whole lotta stuff that will help to keep him busy in the coming months, but I did pick up a few things that we were able to work on today.

First, let me start off by saying that this was not my original idea. I got it from Pinterest which, if you don't know what that is, I challenge you to Google it and then try not to spend every waking hour searching for awesome stuff.

Second, I have to say that while I have high hopes for Thad and his crafts, he absolutely hates crafts. 

They are boring to him.

I am pretty sure he isn't my child, but that's for another post.

Anyways, today I picked up some things to make Halloween decorations, knowing full well that I would probably be doing them by myself.

It was super easy and ALL CRAFT ITEMS ARE 50% OFF AT HOBBY LOBBY right now. So, uh, take what you would spend and cut it in half.

Then use the leftovers to buy something really delicious, like a Big Mac.

I am seriously craving a Big Mac right now.

Yum.
Ok, here is what you need:

- Mason jars, big and small ($2 each, $1 after discount. I bought 6).
- Acrylic paint. ($1 each, .50 after discount. I bought 7 colors).
- Paint brushes. (1 pack of crappy brushes is $2, $1 after discount).
- Tea light candles (these weren't half off, so I paid $6 for the whole pack of like, 100).

The first thing you want to do is put some paint in some bowls, after figuring out what you want to make.

By the way, we're making tea light candle holders.

I made 2 ghosts, 2 pumpkins, a vampire and Frankenstein.


Paint your mason jars. They will dry super quick, and don't worry about making the paint even, that's the beauty of acrylic paint - it dries nicely, no matter how shitty of a painter you are.


 Then, put a tea light candle in each one.


When you are finished, place them on your mantle, and admire your work.

These will actually find their home in our front windows at night, but I placed them on the mantle so I could look at them. I'm vain like that.

This one is my favorite.


Voila! Awesome craft and fab decor for super, super cheap.

Total cost: about $16.

Not bad.

3 comments:

L said...

love these! you did great! <3

Tonya said...

Holy Cowbells Katie...did you paint these?
You are awesome like whoa;)
(for reals)

aubryc said...

so darling! I might have to pull from my inner Martha and do this! Thanks for the instructions... :D

Post a Comment