.

Saturday night.

Let's conduct a time line, shall we?

We'll start with the year 2000 - the year I turned 18. My Saturday night went something like this:

Leave with friends, head to Red Robin for some clucks and fries. Cross the street to Columbine park, and randomly hang out on the swing set. Maybe see a movie. Never get into trouble. Speed back up the mountain at 11:45, since curfew was at midnight.

That same year, I went to college. After having resented my midnight curfew for quite awhile, I vow to make midnight a thing of the past. Since I am too young for the bars, I find myself at random parties here and there, staying out until early hours of the morning. Life is fun.

By 2002, I've become more invested in my wardrobe than my education and I end up running up quite a bit of debt. No big deal - but I have to find a job. Saturday night now consists of working as a waitress, and then an expo, at Chili's Grill & Bar. Life is not as fun anymore.

Every now and then, I get a random Saturday off. On those nights, I am out with friends, closing down the bar. But just because the bar is closed, doesn't mean Taco Cabana is closed, too. So, we head out to wait in an hour-long drive-thru line for tortillas and queso. We take the food home, and reminisce about the drunken activities. My roommates and I end up passing out together in one person's bed. We wake up the next morning in the early afternoon. Life is fun on these nights.

Fast forward to 2005, when I leave Texas to head to Grad School in Denver. Saturday nights are now spent with friends - including Tom. Actually, during this one year of my life, Saturday night was much like every night of the week. Since I worked during the day, we would spend the evenings at OTB, or some random bar that sold Long Island Iced Teas. Many o' evenings were a blur. Life was really, really fun.

Fast forward to the year 2011. My child is three. And, while life is fun, it is a different kind of fun. 

Tonight, my Saturday night went something like this:

Wake up from a nap around 5. Throw Thad in the tub, along with his bed sheets (don't ask).

Get dressed.

Leave at 5:45, and pick up Thad's friend, Keegan.

At 6, we head to Play World. The entire time, we are listening to the boys spitting, screaming, and randomly singing to the Disney songs I have playing on the car radio. Tom and I are getting a good laugh at this point.

We get to Play World.

The boys have an hour-and-a-half to run around and tire themselves out. They do just that.

They drink a ton of lemonade, and we take like 400 trips to the bathroom.

We leave.


We drop Keegan off at home.

We head to McDonald's since Thad hasn't eaten dinner, and it's nearing 8:30.

We get home. We eat. We watch The Berenstein Bears.

Thad goes to bed.

Tom and I are about to watch The Sopranos.

My...how life has changed.

The end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment