.

The Crafty Mom

I have to be honest with you.

I titled this blahg post "The Crafty Mom" briefly before I daydreamed for about 15 minutes about how the InterWebz might get ahold of this fabulous tutorial I am about to show you, and that I would need a really cute logo for the media.

This is literally what I thought of:

Anyways, back to why we're here.

My child is turning four years old (don't ask me about it - I'm still in denial) on Thursday. His birthday party is on Saturday. All of his friends are coming. This is his first "traditional" birthday party. For his first, we celebrated with close family. For his second, we were on a road trip. For his third, I stepped aside and let my mom do all the planning. It was a shared party with his second cousin and his great grandma. A wonderful party - but definitely not "traditional."

This year, we are doing it old school. Like I remember. The way my birthday party probably went when I turned four years old. There will be an over-sized mouse singing songs. There will be pizza. And tokens. And games. And balloons. And rides. And an amaze-balls superhero cake that Danielle is making for him.

And these:


Homemade super hero capes.

(By the way, ladies, this is where I mention that if you ever thought 'Oh, I don't care if my husband gets that tattoo,' then you probably weren't thinking about the day when your four year old son wanted the back of his cape to look like "Daddy's skull and bones.")

These literally took me all of $5 minutes to make, each.

I made 10. 

Which means I made 10 homemade super hero capes in less than the time it takes to get a manicure.

So here's how it's done.

1. Go to Wal*Mart or Target or Meijer or Good Will. Whatever suits your fancy.

2. Buy (insert your number here) men's t-shirts, size small.

3. Take them home and cut them out, straight down the back and around the neck, like this:


4. Then, after you recover from the original shock of how fucking expensive they were, take the decals out of the bag.


5. Iron the shirt to warm it up a bit.


6. Place the decal over the shirt, sticky side down. Press firmly with your hands.



7. Then, turn the shirt over and iron over the decal for a good 25 seconds or so (your iron's setting should be on "Cotton").


8. Once you're done with the iron, peel the plastic off the decal. 

9. Voila! You're a total bad ass.


Oh, and in case you're wondering why there is no four-year-old model to show the viewing audience how amazingly cute these are, all I have to say is you need to try giving a super hero cape to a little boy four days before his birthday "just to take a picture," but then tell him he can't have it back until Saturday.

Good luck with that one.


Oh! And if, for some crazy reason, your four year old little girl isn't into skull and crossbones, then maybe you can make her a cute super hero cape with butterflies!?


(In reality, they only had 7 skull decals in the store. Originally, even the girls were going to get the skulls. Lol.)

Alright, so that concludes this episode of The Craz(ft)y Mom. Tune in next week as we consider the proper way to address our husbands when they come home from a long, hard day at work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment