.

Conversations. With. The. Bank.

The following conversation took place a little over an hour ago, on my drive home from work, after my debit card was declined when it should not have been. Oh, and keep in mind, these are only the things I think the lady on the phone was saying; although, English wasn't exactly her first language, so I can only speculate.

Teller: Thank you for calling Chase bank. How can I help you?

Me: Um, yes, my card was just declined for a four-dollar sandwich. I need to know why.

(After a long time of verifying card numbers, mother's maiden names, pin numbers, social security numbers, height, size, weight, favorite color, bread preference and a host of other items, the conversation continued).

Teller: It appears your card has been compromised. We are sending a new one and have canceled your current card.

Me: Compromised?

Teller: Yes. Apparently an on-line merchant you used recently took your credit card information and attempted to make a separate purchase without your authorization. This is fraud.

Me: Ok. What merchant?

Teller: I'm not authorized to give you this information.

Me: Why?

Teller: For the merchant's security.

Me: So as a loyal customer, you are going to protect the merchant who is attempting to defraud me, instead of giving me their information so I make sure never to use them again in the future and put myself at risk of further fraud?

Teller: Uh.........

Me: Mmmkay. Can I speak to a manager, please?

Teller: Yes, but before I let you go, I want to thank you for being a loyal Chase customer and urge you not to be concerned. We caught the compromise and have canceled your card! Isn't that good news!?

*crickets*

2 comments:

Kristi said...

OMG! That is a good story though and now I want to know what the manager said???? Don't leave me hanging!

Katie said...

Kristi, the manager was just as helpful and useful. Lol. I got nothing accomplished. :(

Post a Comment