.

Day. Five.

Your favorite recipes.

Seriously? 

Ok, here goes.

Recipe #1:

Boil two cups water.
Add noodles, breaking up if desired.
Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat.
Stir in seasonings from flavor packet.

Voila!
Now you have Top Ramen!

Ok, but really, I am the worst cook. Half the time I base my decision to make something on whether or not I know what each of the ingredients are, so I don't look like an ass at the grocery store, searching for something that I think is a noodle, but is actually a spice.

I have no idea what would taste good with what. I'm more likely to add an Italian spice to a Mexican dish, and vice versa.

Oh! And I am so incredibly impatient. I turn the stove burners on high for everything. Everything. And it drives Tom nuts.

But, I will say that there are a few things I have come to make in the past few years that I like:

Recipe #2:
Kielbasa with peppers and onions.

Cut some beef kielbasa, or chicken sausage, into bite sized pieces and throw it into a pan with a touch of olive oil.

Then cut up half an onion (red) and two red peppers.

Once the kielbasa has cooked and is browned a bit, throw in the peppers and onions.

Cook a few more minutes.

Season with salt, pepper, and a touch of garlic.

Serve over whole grain brown rice.

Recipe #3:

Katie's Awesome Spaghetti.
Boil noodles. I prefer penne, but I know most of America does the long, spaghetti kind.

Set the noodles to the side.

For the sauce, brown a package of Extra Lean ground beef. Make sure it's extra lean. If it's not, that's just disgusting.

Pour in your favorite jar of spaghetti sauce - for me, it's something that always involves cheese and garlic. Nothing with meat already in it. Jarred or canned meat? No, thank you.

For seasonings, add pepper, garlic, onions, red wine, and a whole lotta crushed red pepper.

Your child will cry, but you will love it.

Then, throw your cooked noodles in and stir it all together.

Thank me later.

The next three of my favorite recipes come from The Pioneer Woman. I have never made anything of hers that Tom didn't absolutely love (to include her apple pie - which I made two of for Thanksgiving - which were gone by Friday. Um, Thanksgiving was Thursday. You do the math).

Recipe #4: Dreamy Apple Pie.


Recipe #6: Monkey Bread.

Recipe #7:

My mom's chili, with just a couple of changes by me.

2 regular cans Light Red Kidney Beans 1 extra can of spicy chili beans, 1 can of black beans
2 Regular cans Chili Beans
1 Regular can Spicy Chili Beans
2 Regular cans Mexican Stewed Tomatoes - Blend them up in blender so you don't have the chunks (unless you like chunky cooked tomatoes)
2 lbs of hamburger (seasoned with a ton of chili powder)
1 small diced onion (Optional).
Chili Powder
Garlic Powder or Salt
Onion Salt
Celery Salt
Salt

Fry up the hamburger with all seasonings EXCEPT Chili Powder.  Drain meat. If you are putting it in crock pot, put it back in to the fry pan first (after you have drained the grease) and saute the meat with the Chili Powder. Then put it in to the crock pot. If you are cooking it in a soup pot, you can fry the meat in the soup pot to begin with - so you'll just be returning it to the soup pot after you drain the grease from the meat.

Saute the Chili Powder in to the hamburger

Add all the remaining ingredients (beans and tomatoes).

Cover and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour - but as long as you want, keeping it covered. 

Stir regularly so it doesn't burn and stick to bottom of the pan.

Then, when it's ready to serve, serve it with jalapenos, sour cream, cheese, onions and Fritos.

Um, hello Heaven. Lovely to meet you.





0 comments:

Post a Comment