.

Like a fish.

So Thad had his first swim lesson the other day. He was so, so excited. 

When the lesson first began, there were four kids. The other three were like crazy monster children. They didn't listen. They didn't behave. I was so amazed at how well Thaddeus was doing. He was basically an angel.

About 10 minutes into the lesson, the other kids were trying to clamor out of the pool. When they succeeded (despite the instructor yelling at them to get back in, lol), Thad thought he'd do the same. 

So he got out.

But then he fell in.

Ever watched your child fall into a swimming pool? I am pretty sure my heart felt the temperature of the water as it jumped out of my chest, and went from the bleachers to the pool.

Thankfully, of course, the instructor was right there and she pulled him right up. He was out almost as fast as he was in. But it still scared the shit out of me him.

He cried for awhile. He wanted mommy. 

He couldn't find the courage to put himself all the way back into the water because he was so frightened. I felt so bad for him. All I wanted to do was scoop him up and take him home.

But of course, that wouldn't have been the right thing to do.

So, I let him work it out for himself.

And, after the instructor took him around to float through the pool...


...he warmed up again and was able to get back into it.

He kicked.

And blew bubbles.

And "scooped ice cream" with his arms.

Apparently today, he even asked Tom if he could go back.

I'm so relieved. I was terrified that this little mishap was going to ruin him of the pool forever.

Thank God he's like his dad - a total fish.

1 comments:

Erica C said...

Just thinking about watching him fall in to a pool of water makes me have a heart attack!!! Ahhh!! When I take Matthew to the pool I have often thought about what I would do if he fell in. Way to stay calm and proceed with swimming- mama!!!

Post a Comment