.

March 17.

What a night.

On this St. Patrick's Day evening, on this last day of my project 365, I met with a family in the neonatal until at the Children's Hospital. This family had a precious little baby, three months old, who could not eat or breathe on her own. The decision was made to pull her from her life support this Saturday...but, before they did so, they wanted photos taken of her, with her...for them.

I can't even imagine the heartache that comes with this situation. As the day draws closer and closer, I can imagine that you begin to suffocate under the weight of that moment when the machines are turned off and you lose your child. I can tell you that I spent only 2 hours with this family, and I am heartbroken.

I squeezed this little baby's toes. And I told her that it was lovely to have been able to meet her. And, as I walked to the car, knowing that I will return after all the machines have been turned off this weekend for more photos, I cried.

I sobbed, actually.

And then I went to our babysitter's house, walked in the door, and gave Thad the biggest hug and kiss I could muster.

Life is so incredibly fragile. And pregnancy alone is such a miracle - it's amazing when you think about all of the children who are born each and every day without any problems. I am so thankful to God that after Thad was born, we were able to take him home.

And love him. And enjoy him. And learn from him. And allow him to enjoy the sunshine.

Seriously. 

I am so, so thankful.


1 comments:

Erica C said...

God bless you, Katie. I have nothing else to say

Post a Comment