.

P-Dub.

I'm not even kidding when I say that I have been walking this Earth for the past 4 days in a Tylenol-induced cloud. I have felt miserable since Friday evening, and even my appointment at the doctor's office left me feeling defeated (something about "we can't prescribe medicine to you because it won't help because you're already on 14 bazillion meds and we will take your $35 co-pay now k thanks"). 

But finally, today...a small glimmer of hope. And light.

And yes, I still feel like shit. It has nothing to do with me feeling better physically.

But emotionally? I'm stoked.

Pioneer Woman - the woman I dream of one day being (minus the farming, and the cooking, and home decorating) - has picked one of my photos for her recent photography assignment, Beauty.

I knew instantly what photo I wanted to submit...there wasn't a doubt in my mind. In fact, I even uploaded it twice so that I could submit it twice. It just means that much to me.


I took this photo of my Aunt Tracey while in California last year during this time. She was in the throws of chemotherapy and, obviously, had lost her hair. I wanted her to feel beautiful, though, and embrace her new look. When I told her I wanted to take her picture, she scoffed. 

Like, "Uh...why?"

But, I convinced her to bare all. Literally.

She has a towel on (that you can't see), but you can barely see the scar of her masectomy under the scarf at the bottom of the photo. She felt ridiculous taking this photo, I am sure of it. And she probably thought I was crazy.

But, I edited it. And I printed it. And I love it.

And I think secretly, she does too.

But being selected for Pioneer Woman doesn't excite me because my work is being recognized, it excites me because now hundreds and thousands of people can see her for how beautiful she is as well.

This photo of her is a statement of courage. And hope - like the word inscribed on her necklace.

I am happy to say that my aunt's hair is now growing back, and she is cancer-free.

Does it get any better than that?

10 comments:

Country Girl said...

I am so glad I came here. This photograph speaks volumes. So glad it was chosen for all of us to see. Blessings to you and to your aunt.
PS - Hope you feel better.

Lydia @ The Loop said...

Very beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with the world. Congratulations, too!

Anonymous said...

Your Aunt is beautiful. What courage to do something anyway, even when you are scared. This post brightened my day. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't see the scar until you pointed it out, I can't read her necklace, and in the smaller version of my reader, I thought it was a tank top she was wearing. I didn't look at all that, though, because all I saw was the courageous, beautiful face shining out at me. Maybe she should stay bald; this photo emits an "I'm powerful" image. Just gorgeous. Thanks for submitting it. --Sandi

Rhonda said...

The photo made me think of my Mom during her battle with breast cancer. She did not win the battle, but that was 20 years ago. I'm so glad your Aunt Tracey won her battle. Lovely photo, I'm glad the Pioneer Woman chose it.

Anonymous said...

This is really beautiful. I hope Tracey can see what an impact she's made on those of us who see the photo. Wow.

Katie said...

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. Tracey means a lot to me, and I'm glad to hear that a few of you were touched by her story.

Much love,

Katie

Karen said...

I'm so glad I found my way here via PW then your Flickr stream. When I saw the photo I simply saw a beautiful woman (and an outstanding picture). The hair loss did make me wonder about cancer but it was secondary to the 'beautiful woman'. Now I read your story of courage and hope and it is so good to know that your Aunt Tracey won her battle.
I hope you feel better soon!

Kellea LeSage said...

I've already told you before that I love this photo and I'm so glad it is featured on PW's website (and I also want to be like her one day when I grow up). I love love love this photo of aunt Tracey and I will echo one of the statements from an earlier poster: She looks so strong here and I'm glad you captured that so beautifully - because she most certainly is. *hearts*

Ashley said...

Thank you for posting such a beautiful picture. This hits close to home because I lost my mom on March 2nd to a 21 year battle with breast cancer. I started tearing up as soon as I saw this on PW, and I had to let you know. Your aunt is a beautiful, strong, courageous woman and I'm so glad she's doing well.

Post a Comment