.

Raising him right.

Life seems to happen so fast.

One minute, you're in your parent's garage and they are surprising you with a car for your 16th birthday, and the next minute, you are going to dinner with your parents, husband and a child of your own to celebrate your last year in your 20s.

At other times, I can remember my first day of law school so vividly. Now, as 2011 reaches its fourth month, I find myself pondering what I will be doing after December, since school will be complete.

And of course...there's Thad.

How is it even possible that almost 4 years ago I was spending my days wondering if he would ever be able to communicate beyond a mid-morning cry? Would he ever be able to actually chew food? And if so, how would I teach him to do that? Will he go to high school in diapers? All of these thoughts crossed my mind so often and yet...here we are.

Thad has a little girlfriend next door who seems to be a more popular presence in our lives these days. She comes over each day, rings the doorbell, and asks if Thad can come outside to play. Our reluctance to say yes has been short-lived and he now spends the majority of his time in the front yard, playing hop scotch, riding a scooter, and watching her older brother do tricks on his skateboard.

The weather was a little more on the chilly side today, so she got permission from her mom to come inside to our home, and the two spent the day playing basketball, bowling, and checking out Thad's train set.

Tonight she stayed for dinner, and then the two played a bit more before it got dark and I told Thad that it was time for her to head home.

Thad said ok. Then he said, "Mommy, I'll be right back. I need to walk my girlfriend home."

Hold the phone.

What?

Was it a coincidence? Or is something inside of him already building up to turn him into a fine little gentleman?

Either way, I thought it was the cutest thing I had ever witnessed in my life.

It also gave me quite a bit of pause as I thought to myself that he was way too young to start thinking about girls. And, of course I know that he isn't actually thinking of her as anything more than a friend.

But it gave me pause because I realized that before I know it, he will be thinking of girls as more than friends. And he will be walking them home...or worse. 

Driving them home.

I can't even believe how fast time flies.

I love my little monkey so much...it's just too bad that he won't stay little forever.

1 comments:

Erica C said...

I have tears in my eyes....

Post a Comment