.

Christmas.

Well, it hasn't exactly been a white Christmas - in fact, today, Tom and I are heading to the Broncos game and we contemplated whether or not we wanted to take jackets (it's supposed to be in the 60s). But you know what? After living in Michigan for 3 years, I'm ok with that.

Christmas, as usual, was wonderful.

All of the build-up about Santa paid off when we saw the look on Thad's face as he opened "Stinky the Garbage Truck."


(It's a good thing Santa has a good memory, because Thad wasn't too specific in the note he left. All he wanted me to put was, "Dear Santa, Bring me toys. Love, Thaddeus.")

I'm not sure why, but this year was a lot like all those years I spent at home as a child - I had a lot of anxiety about Christmas, and had a tough time sleeping at night, in anticipation of the big day. 
I think a lot of it had to do with some of the gifts Tom and I had bought - I was excited to see the reaction. But, I was also greatly looking forward to Tom finding out that he was going to be flying to Virginia to see his mom. I actually gave him that gift on Christmas Eve, so that he might have some time to mentally process the fact that he'd be boarding a plane in two days.

He was thrilled.

And so was his mom.

Which warmed my heart enough to make me cry like a baby when he opened the gift.

When did I become such a sap?

The rest of Christmas was pretty much the same as it always is - we had an early wake up call (except now I'm the last one to roll out of bed, as opposed to the first); we brought all the presents out from under the tree and distributed them to everyone's designated "spot" in the family room; we opened them one at a time, taking turns; and then we spent the rest of the afternoon playing with each of our new toys.

This is what our family room looked like before the wrapping paper/box tornado that ripped through:


There were definitely a lot of surprises this year. Aside from Tom's flight, my parents each got iPads. Then, my dad pulled a fast one and my mom opened a Canon 5d Mark ii (droooooooooool). But, as envious as I was, I have to admit, I think I made out the best of everyone...

...since I will be driving a new car, equipped with a new GPS navigation system, home from Christmas. :)

Oh! One last surprise - at the end of the present un-wrapping, we heard some jingle bells from the back room. Apparently Santa had forgotten one toy, and he slyly dropped it off at Gigi's place for Thad to find...


Santa definitely did well this year...

I hope each of you had a Merry, blessed Christmas! 

Next up? 

Eleven boudoir sessions in downtown Denver, and then my big sister, Susan, is flying to Denver for the New Year. 

I. Can't. Wait.

0 comments:

Post a Comment